Wednesday, June 20, 2012

DIY Jewelry Holder

I finished my jewelry holder! I've been seeing a lot of these on Pinterest, so I combined my favorite aspects of several to create this:


I found a frame and a framed mirror at a thrift store for less than a dollar apiece! I got some spray paint from Hobby Lobby (they always have a 40% off coupon on their website and can take the coupon on a smart phone, BTW). I took the glass and backing out of the frame and sanded both frames. I couldn't get the mirror out of the frame, so I just covered the mirror part in paper.  After that, just spray paint! I ended up using the entire can of spray paint to cover the brown, so if I were to do this again I would probably use a primer.

Word of advice... don't hold the paint too close or you'll get drips on your frame (like me)
Luckily most of the drips were on the back so it's not toooo noticeable



 After the paint dried I just hot-glued the lace and trim. When i bought the lace I picked a lace that was a little thicker so it would hold up my earrings, and that had a lot of holes in the design to make it easy to hang up the earrings. While I was looking for lace I found some blue trim on clearance (I love clearance finds!)  My bedroom walls are light blue so I added some of the trim to the frame as well. 

I considered gluing the branch to the frame, but they were both a weird shape that didn't fit together very well, so I ended up just making a fabric sling and hot-gluing the fabric to the frame.



 Finished frame



Finished mirror



 Here you can see how the branch's "sling" looks from the front. 



And one more picture for good measure ;)


More Later,

Kandra

No comments:

Post a Comment